This resource allows students to read a literary and informational paired set of passages and answer written response questions related to the topic of the paired passages. Each task card focuses on a Common Core Reading Standard that covers Reading Literature (RL) Standards 1 – 6 and Reading Information (RI) Standards 1 – 6.
This resource includes:
• 2 paired passages (one literary and one informational)
• 24 writing response task cards with sample answer response cards
• 3 writing prompts for narrative, expository, and persuasive writing
• Student Completion Chart
• BONUS: 6 Traits for Writing Wall Charts
This resource is Common Core aligned and focuses on reading and writing activities for grades 5 – 8. Each task card is written on a different Depth of Knowledge (DOK) level for each standard covered. This allows the students to focus on a specific standard to learn, remediate, or enrich. Use the DOK levels to scaffold the rigor of the written response tasks.
Students also write a narrative, expository, and/or persuasive essay where they respond to a prompt related to the literary and informational set of passages. As students complete the writing tasks, they fill in the task log on their Student Completion Chart. The teacher or student-pairs can grade the task cards using the answer keys.
1. Diagnostic: use the written response tasks as a diagnostic to determine each students level of writing on a specific standard.
2. Guided (teacher-led) Literacy Station: use the written response tasks in a guided (teacher-led) literacy station to scaffold students’ reading and writing skills.
3. Reading and Writing Literacy Station: use the written response tasks in a reading and writing literacy station.
4. Formative or Summative assessment: use the writing prompts as a formative or summative assessment.
This item is a paid digital download from my Teacher Pay Teacher store
It is for use in one classroom only. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the Internet are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Please contact me if you wish to be granted special permissions!
Questions: Contact me by email at email@example.com
Happy Learning! Happy Teaching! Happy Learning!
Thanks for your support!
Literacy Art by Iris©